Oxford Railway Station to Gipsy Lane walk
A printable pdf version of the route is available here
This walk can be used to support efforts to increase physical activity as it follows the U1 bus service that travels between Harcourt Hill Campus and Wheatley passing the Railway Station. Whether you want to get off early and walk the rest of the way or start walking and pick up the bus en route your fitness levels will improve.
- With your back to the station entrance, turn right, follow the path for 20 m.
- Turn left, (bicycle racks will be on your right).
- Walk straight on down the slope until you reach the curbside. Cross the vehicular entrance to the station at the "Look both ways" sign written on the road.
- Turn right cross at the traffic lights to the central area of Frideswide Square (Said Business School behind you).
- Turn left walk past the R8 - Brookes U1 bus stop.
- With The Royal Oxford Hotel facing you, cross at the traffic lights and walk to the right of the hotel onto Park End Street.
- Continue straight on up Park End Street. Cross Worcester Street at the traffic lights and continue straight on up New Road past Brookes U1 bus stop. (The Mound is on your right).
- Continue straight on to Queen Street past the F1 - Brookes U1 bus stop. (BHS is on your right).
- Cross Cornmarket and continue straight on down the High Street.
- Cross Turl Street and continue straight on past Queen's College and the K4 Brookes U1 bus stop.
- Cross Queen's Lane, Longwall Street and walk straight on over Magdalen Bridge to the Plain.
- Continue up St Clements, cross York Place, Caroline Street, past the Brookes U1 bus stop.
- Cross Boulter Street and Bath Street then walk straight on to the traffic lights at the bottom of Headington Hill.
- Cross Cherwell Street and Marston Road at the traffic lights and walk up the hill past Brookes U1 bus stop.
- The entrance to Headington Hill Campus is on the left at the brow of the hill.
- Gipsy Lane Campus is further on, on the right.
How to use the "Walk to Work" health walk
Start slowly and build up - start by walking a section of the route and catch a bus for the rest. For example, it only takes 33 mins at 3 miles an hour to reach Brookes starting from Carfax. Even less time if you walk down Headington hill to Carfax. Breathe naturally. It should be possible to hold a normal conversation. Slow down if gasping for breath. Be seen and be bright especially if the light and conditions are poor.
Be seen and be bright especially if the light and conditions are poor.
How to use the tables
Record the time it takes you to do a section of your walk and from this work out your walking speed: for example, if it takes 45 mins to walk from the Station to Headington Campus you have walked at 3 miles an hour. Aim to gradually increase your walking speed each time you do the walk.
Find the nearest weight to your body weight in the blue section and read down the column to find the average number of calories you have burned for the walk you have done.
Increasing your steps
An "active individual" is described as someone walking 10,000 steps a day. Use a pedometer to measure yours. Under 5,000 steps is regarded as someone who is a sedentary individual.
|Walking speed (mph)||2.0||2.5||3.0||3.5||4.0||4.5||5.0|
|No. of minutes from Railway Station||69||54||45||39||34||30||27|
|No. of minutes from Carfax Tower||49||39||33||28||25||22||20|
|No. of minutes from bus stop outside Queen's College||40||33||27||23||20||18||16|
|No. of minutes from bus stop at St Clements||28||22||18||16||14||12||11|
|(st, lb)||7, 9||9, 4||11, 0||12, 6||14, 1||15, 7||17, 3|
|Railway Station to Brookes||Average Kcal used||180||216||252||288||324||360||396|
|Carfax to Brookes||131||157||183||210||236||262||288|
|Queen's College to Brookes||107||128||150||171||193||214||235|
|St Clements to Brookes||73||88||103||118||132||147||162|
Produced by Health Walks Research and Development Unit
supporting the Green Commuter Plan
A Health Promoting University Initiative